Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Maya Medeiros is an intellectual property lawyer, patent agent (Canada, US) and trademark agent (Canada, US) and has a degree in mathematics and computer science. She has extensive experience in artificial intelligence, blockchain, cybersecurity, cryptography, payments, graph theory, risk management, gaming, face recognition, communications, healthcare and medical devices, virtual and mixed reality, wearables, and other computer-related technologies. She is a key contributor to www.insidetechlaw.com on the ethical and legal implications of artificial intelligence.
She advises on IP strategy and develops tailored IP policies and training programs. Ms. Medeiros prepares domestic and international IP registrations and manages international portfolios, including coordinating foreign associates for foreign application prosecution. She also drafts and negotiates agreements relating to IP assets, such as licences, confidentiality agreements, system access agreements, joint development, and collaboration agreements. Ms. Medeiros assists with due diligence, landscape and freedom to operate evaluations.
She is an adjunct professor at York University and teaches a course on the commercialization of intellectual property. She leads a collaboration with IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic to supervise its clinic students and service emerging companies.
While obtaining her undergraduate degree, Ms. Medeiros gained valuable industry experience working for a technology start-up company.
While completing her law degree, she attended the International Intellectual Property program at the University of Oxford, where she studied Canadian, European and American patent and copyright law.
J.D., University of Victoria, 2006
B.Sc.(Hons.), Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Toronto, 2003
- Ontario 2007
- Canada (patents) 2008
- Canada (trademarks) 2013
- United States (patents) 2010
- British Columbia 2020
Ms. Medeiros has acted in the following matters:
- Advising leading financial institutions on the patenting of fintech
- Advising leading research institutions and commercialization offices on patenting digital health and artificial intelligence innovation
- Advising Zerofootprint Software Inc. on patenting its carbon emission calculation technology
- Advising Imagine Communication its media processing technology
- Advising Scribble Technologies Inc. on patenting its digital content publication technology
- IAM Patent 1000, Prosecution, Law Business Research, Ltd., 2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Intellectual Property
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Information Technology Law, 2023
- Recognized as a top Intellectual Property strategist, IAM Strategy 300: The World's Leading IP Strategists, 2020
- Canadian Technology Law Association (board of directors)
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group, chair (past chair, five-year executive term)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Association of University Technology Managers
- Vancouver Board of Trade
- Artificial Intelligence Network of British Columbia (AInBC) (board of directors)
- British Columbia Technology Industry Association (BC Tech)
August 25, 2022
July 12, 2021
June 17, 2020
Webinar | September 7, 2022
Webinar | September 7, 2022
Blog | August 10, 2022
Blog | August 01, 2022